Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What's new?

We are trying to adapt to just one nap a day. Just when I think they have it, they fall asleep and mess up the rest of the day. I know that sounds a little too structured, but when you have two, you really rely on a break during the day and the only way that happens is if they nap at the same time. The boys are also working on some more teeth, so that too upsets everything. Gavin is working on a front tooth and a molar and Drew is working on like 2 molars. So, we have had some interrupted nights which also messes with their schedules. Enough about that. I should not complain because they are sleeping from about 8:00 at night until 7:00 in the morning and taking at least a two hour nap sometime during the day.


So, they get up around 7:00 and 7:30 if I am lucky. I try to run on Tues. and Thurs. so that gives me just enough time to get a shower before Andrew has to leave at 7. If I am lucky they will sleep until 7:30 and I can get Harper fed and get things ready for breakfast and get dressed while they still sleep. Then they have a sippy cup full of warm milk while I get their breakfast ready. They love french toast with butter, waffles, and just recently cereal. Sometimes I can get them to have some egg. That whole process and clean up takes about an hour. Then they get dressed and another diaper change (they usually have a dirty diaper at this time) and then we either clean, they play in their room, or we have to head out somewhere. They are really getting good at playing by themselves now, so sometimes I can sneak in some house work while they play. Gavin loves to play with hats and Drew loves to jump in the pictures now. I promise that is not dust on the end table it is a glare!








11:00 is time to start lunch. They are great eaters and except when their teeth are really bothering them they will eat pretty much whatever I put in front of them. They love PB &Jelly sandwiches, quesadillas, and yes, mac and cheese is still their favorite. These are just a few of our lunch favorites of course served with a veggie and a fruit. Then it is time for another diaper change and nap time around 12:30 or 1:00 if they have not fallen asleep earlier. Hopefully they will sleep for at least 2 hours. This gives me some time to get some things done and sometimes if I am lucky scrapbook. I am about to post the first page that I have sewn on and that I am actually liking.




I will have to go back and read some of Darcy's pointers on taking pictures of pages. The boys were just waking up from a nap when I finished, so this was the best I could do.



Then when they wake up it is hopefully after 3 so it is snack time. Okay, so this is what I am excited to share about. I know I am probably not the only one who uses this idea because I actually stole it from church. I help out in the nursery and I am always amazed at how well the kids do during snack time. So, I adapted it for our use. This is a picture of where I keep the snack blanket. Gavin when he hears the word snack goes to the closet. Drew followed because he loves to be in pictures.




I then give them their snacks in a little cup on the blanket. They know to stay seated on the blanket and if they get up snack is over. Ten, I just pull up the blanket and shake out the crumbs outside. It is great! The coolest part is I really didn't have to teach them anything, they learned it all at church!

After snack it is play time. Here they are sitting at their table and chairs that they got from Grandpa and Grandma Susie for their first birthday and I am just now posting them sitting at it. They love to play in their room.

After that, play time and I pray that time will pass quickly and Daddy comes home quickly. The boys eat and then we eat and then it is time to get them ready for bed. That is a day in our life. There are times when of course things change. Like today for instance we went and picked apples with a mom's group and now Gavin is sleeping and Drew is playing. So, everyday is definitely not the same. It is exciting to see them grow. Drew loves to say uh-oh and Gavin loves to say hi. It is amazing how much they pick up, they are little sponges. Gavin talks constantly and we are still trying to figure out what he is saying. Drew is becoming quite the climber and is still such a people person. Thanks for reading about us, I would love to read comments or suggestions of things that work for other moms. Have a great day!

7 comments:

Brian, Beth, Garrett, Lucy, Brooks and Deacon White said...

OMG! i loved reading about your day. and GIRL! if there was dust on your end table....WHO CARES? you do a great job with all THREE of your boys & if the dust piles up, so be it! am definitely going to steal your idea for our blog! love you, honey!

Anonymous said...

no words of wisdom...I'm in awe, actually, that you manage everything as beautifully as you do. I. would. die.

:)

Your little guys are adorable.

darcy said...

We do the snack blanket now too. =) We'll have fun snack time when we visit next month!

THe boys are getting so big.. I really miss them. =( And you too. =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about their daily routine! They are getting really tall! Miss you guys...

~Gregory

Jessica Stone said...

Well, I haven't had a chance to check this in a while, but I'm really glad that now I know what time of day they have a dirty diaper. Actually - it's so great to be able to predict that, isn't it? I've saved little sheets that I typed up for Grandma with their whole routines at various ages so I'd be able to remember. And I do remember that clock-watching time before Daddy came home. Still the hardest part of our days...

Jodie said...

You're tagged! Visit my blog!

JAMES & SUSAN said...

I love all the pics of the boys- they sure are growing up quickly!! I love the "snack blanket" idea.
I wish that I could see you soon (maybe I'll have to make up an excuse to come to the west coast next year?)

Love you!!!